Zee Entertainment Enterprises is a part of the Essel Group, a multi-billion dollar business conglomerate. The Company is mainly engaged in the business of Broadcasting of General Entertainment Television Channels. Company’s television channels reach out to a little over 1.3 Billion viewers across 173+ countries.
Zee Entertainment Enterprises
The Company mainly provides Broadcasting Services and is engaged in the business of Broadcasting of various National and Regional General Entertainment, Music and Niche Television Channels.
Zee Entertainment Enterprises international business operations are carried out by various direct and indirect subsidiaries overseas through their offices in 17 International locations (including representative offices and/or distribution arrangement) and the major ones are Singapore, Mauritius, UAE, South Africa, Canada, USA, Germany, Indonesia, Thailand, Russia, UK, Philippines etc.
Indian operations of the Company are carried out through over 13 offices located in major commercial hubs of the Country including Mumbai, New Delhi, Gurgaon, Chennai, Kolkata, Noida, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Kochi, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad, Jaipur etc.
Managing Director & CEO – Mr. Punit Goenka
As MD and CEO of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd., Mr. Punit Goenka has been extremely successful in enhancing the company’s performance and in driving the company towards its set goals. His futuristic vision and sharp acumen in the new media domain, has led the company to a global stature today.
Punit is also responsible for expanding the company’s international presence across 173 countries, and its reach to over 1.3 billion viewers.
Mr. Punit Goenka is also listed amongst the top 100 CEOs of India, in a study published by Business Today. He has conferred the ‘Outstanding Contribution to Media’ award at the Managing India Awards hosted by AIMA & bagged the prestigious IAA Leadership Award under the category of “Media Person of the Year”.
Punit has also been awarded the esteemed Medaille d’Honneur Award at MIPTV. He plays an active role in shaping the future of the M&E industry as the President of the IAA India Chapter, Chairman of BARC India and Director on the Board of IBF.
Chairman – Mr. Subhash Chandra
Mr. Subhash Chandra, Chairman of Essel Group of companies, is an educationist, philanthropist and a parliamentarian (Member of Rajya Sabha). Rightly referred to as ‘The Father of Indian Television’, Mr. Chandra’s pioneering vision has gifted India, not just its first private satellite television company but an entire industry in itself.
Mr. Chandra has been contributing towards society in association with various NGOs including TALEEM Foundation, Ekal Vidyalaya, Global Vipassana Foundation, Global Foundation for Civilisation Harmony and Subhash Chandra Foundation.
For his contributions to the industry, Mr. Chandra has been awarded the 2011 International Emmy Directorate Award at their 39th International Emmy Awards in New York. He became the first Indian ever to receive a Directorate Award recognizing excellence in television programming outside the United States.
ZEE5 is one of the fastest-growing video-on-demand entertainment platforms in India. With original content in 6 languages, one of the largest Indian movie libraries, catch-up content and live TV, engaging shows and movies from around the world, news, music, live events, and much more, ZEE5’s content offering makes it a one-stop entertainment destination for Indian consumers.
To cater to India’s multi-lingual audience, ZEE5 offers content in 12 Indian languages. In its first year of launch, ZEE5 has become the largest producer of digital original content in the country. To make its content available to a wider audience and make it convenient for users, ZEE5 is partnering with key stakeholders in the digital eco-system.
ZEE5 has achieved an impressive start and it will build on this strong foundation by offering diverse, high-quality content, expanding its reach through partnerships, and using technology to enhance user experience.
Zee Studios, the movie production and distribution arm of ZEEL, strives to delight consumers with differentiated and high-impact movies. Its focus on clutter-breaking scripts with socio-cultural or historical contexts has enabled Zee Studios to make a mark in the crowded movie production space.
It has established a strong presence in the Hindi and Marathi markets with a string of successful movies over the last few years. It has also produced movies in other regional languages like Punjabi and Kannada. Zee Studios mostly operates in the low-to-mid budget category movies with a co-production model.
Zee Studios’ distribution business has been gradually scaling up successfully in both domestic and international markets. Zee Studios leverages the cross-platform strengths and institutional learnings of the parent network for conceptualizing and marketing of movies.
ZEE MUSIC COMPANY
Zee Music Company (ZMC) is India’s fastest growing music label and the only one with a pan-India reach. With a music library in 11 languages, ZMC caters to music lovers across the country.
Its eclectic catalogue of music from Bollywood, regional movies and independent artists, makes it indispensable for any streaming platform. ZMC has become the second biggest music label in the country and it has been strengthening its position with the aggressive acquisition of music rights.
ZMC’s growth has been driven by its selection of titles, a well-diversified catalog across languages, and the use of network strength for marketing. ZMC also promotes independent and upcoming artists through Zee Music Originals.
Zee Live is ZEEL’s entertainment offering for the consumers in the live events space. Launched two years ago, it has taken small steps towards establishing itself as a credible player in the organized live events segment.
With a focus on creating IP for music, food, standup, theatre, culture, and education events, Zee Live aims to be the gateway to the world for Indian live experiences, while simultaneously bringing the best concepts from around the globe to India.
During the year, Zee Live launched two properties – Arth, India’s first multiregional cultural festival and LF91, a heritage food festival. Leveraging the strength of the parent network, it also brings some of the events to consumers through ZEEL’s television network or ZEE5.
Zee Entertainment Channel List
Hindi General Entertainment
ZEEL’s Hindi general entertainment bouquet of 6 channels caters to the Hindi-speaking Markets (HSM) that make up around 70% of the overall TV market.
- Zee TV Companies’ flagship channel witnessed a marginal increase in viewership share and maintained its #1 position in the Hindi GEC genre.
- &TV’s The channel aims to increase loyalty among the urban audience with its differentiated programming initiatives.
Regional Entertainment Channels
Regional GECs further strengthened their competitive positions in respective markets and were the key drivers for improving the overall network share. ZEEL’s regional portfolio caters to 8 linguistically diverse markets –
- Oriya, and
- Zee Marathi continued to be the #1 channel in the Marathi speaking markets with leadership in all prime-time slots.
- Zee Yuva, the only Marathi channel in the youth entertainment space, was the channel with the third-highest reach.
- Zee Bangla became the #1 channel during the year in the Bengali speaking markets.
- Zee Tamil continued its growth trajectory of the past two years and was a close #3 channel in the Tamil market.
- Zee Telugu maintained its position as the #2 channel despite a significant increase in competitive intensity in the market.
- Zee Kannada became the #1 channel in the Kannada market. The channel refreshed its brand with the new proposition of ‘Open Doors to Possibilities’ to inspire viewers, especially women. It also launched new Zee Anmol remained the #1 channel in the FTA genre
- Big Magic, the FTA channel, is focused on kids’ content.
- Zee Keralam was launched in the Malayalam speaking market in November’18.
- Zee Sarthak.
- Big Ganga was the #2 Bhojpuri entertainment channel.
Regional Movie Cluster
ZEEL has a portfolio of five movie channels in the regional markets.
- Zee Talkies continued to be the #1 movie destination for the Marathi audience. Along with premiering the best Marathi movies, the channel launched a first-ever professional-level wrestling league in India, Zee Maharashtra Kusti Dangal.
- Zee Bangla Cinema maintained its position as the #2 channel in the Bengali movie genre.
- Zee Cinemalu, in its third year of operations, gained viewership share during the year and became the second most-watched Telugu movie channel.
Hindi Movie Cluster ZEEL’s Hindi Movie cluster of 8 channels –
- Zee Cinema,
- Zee Bollywood,
- Zee Action,
- Zee Classic,
- Zee Anmol Cinema,
- Zee Cinema HD and
- &pictures HD
English and Music channels
English cluster channels –
- Zee Café,
- &prive HD and
- Zing, a youth entertainment channel, airs a mix of music and Bollywood-based shows.
Zee Entertainment Enterprises Subsidiaries
The following Companies are the Direct Subsidiaries of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited.
- ATL Media Ltd
- Essel Vision Productions Limited
- Zee Unimedia Limited
- Zee Digital Convergence Limited
- Zee Network Distribution Limited (Zee Turner Limited)
- Zee Multimedia Worldwide (Mauritius) Limited
- India Web Portal Private Limited
- Fly-By-Wire International Private Limited
- Margo Networks Private Limited
The following Companies are the Indirect Subsidiaries of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited.
- Asia TV Limited
- Expand Fast Holdings e
- OOO Zee CIS Holding LLC
- OOO Zee CIS LLC
- Taj TV Limited
- Asia Today Singapore Pte Limited
- Asia TV USA Limited, Wyoming
- Asia Today Limited
- Zee Technologies (Guangzhou) Limited
- Zee Entertainment Middle East
- ATL Media FZ-LLC
- Zee TV South Africa (Proprietary) Limited
- Zee TV USA Inc.
- Asia Multimedia Distribution Inc
- Idea Shop Web and Media Private Limited
- Eevee Multimedia Inc.
- Asia TV GmbH
- ZEE Radio Network Middle East.
- Pantheon Productions Limited
- Z5X Global
- Zee Studios International Limited
The following Companies are the Associate of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited.
- Aplab Limited
- Asia Today Thailand Limited
- Fly-by-Wire International Private Limited
Jointly controlled entities
The following Companies are the Joint entities of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited.
- Media Pro Enterprise India Private Limited
- India Webportal Private Limited
Essel Group, Mr. Subhash Chandra, Chairman of Essel Group of companies, is an educationist, philanthropist and a parliamentarian (Member of Rajya Sabha).
Yes but you have to hold for the long term. Zee Entertainment is one of the top company in television Industry. ZEE5 is one of the fastest-growing video-on-demand entertainment platforms in India.